The local authorities in the Limerick Clare Kerry Region have undertaken many water conservation measures in recent years that have resulted in huge water loss reductions and this work has saved millions of litres a day. You can help support our water initiatives by reducing water waste and only using what you need, here are some ideas for your home:
In the Bathroom
- Take a quick shower instead of a bath. A shower uses about 32 litres. A bath uses as much as 320 litres.
- Plug the sink when washing your hands and face and save up to 10 litres every time.
- Turn the tap off when brushing your teeth, save up to 10 litres every time.
- Use a glass of water to rinse your mouth.
Repair leaks promptly. The biggest source of wasted water is often leaking service pipes, taps and cisterns.
- Repair dripping taps. A dripping tap can waste as much as 90 litres a day.
Never wash dishes under a running tap. Use the plug in the sink.
- Use a bowl when washing vegetables.
- When filling the kettle, only use as much water as you need.
- Use a dishwasher only for full loads.
- Keep a container of drinking water in the fridge, rather than running the tap for a cool drink. Shake the container before drinking so the water doesn’t taste flat.
- Select the proper size pans for cooking.
- Make only the amount of coffee or tea you are going to drink.
Wash only full loads of laundry. Fill your washing machine.
- If buying a new washing machine, make sure to choose an eco-model that uses less water and energy. These models save you money as well.
- Don’t wash clothes unless they need to be washed.
Install a water butt under downpipes to collect rain water & use this for gardening & cleaning the car.
- Use a broom, not a hose, to clean the garage, driveway and footpath.
- Try and grow plants and trees that don’t require too much watering.
Do you use Water Environmentally?
June 05, 2012
Let us know what you do.